California Orienteering Festival is moved to 2023:
This difficult decision was made in the interests of safety and fairness due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and international travel restrictions. It was made jointly with the International Orienteering Federation, International Rogaining Federation, Orienteering Canada, and Orienteering USA along with our partners and landowners. This change includes the North American Orienteering Championships as well as the World Rogaining Championships.
The Festival will be held in San Francisco and Tahoe locations during summer 2023, with dates pending IOF and IRF approvals.
Bay Area Orienteering Club will host Tahoe 2021: US Champs August 6-9; NA Rogaining Champs August 14-15.
Tahoe 2021 will include the USA Orienteering Championships (Sprint, Middle, Long, and a relay), with the same weekend dates and Tahoe areas as were originally planned for CalOFest. The North American Rogaining Championships (24 hour) will be held on the same dates and Tahoe area as the originally planned World Rogaining Championships. Details and registration will be available soon at www.baoc.org
Tahoe 2021 will allow those who can travel to attend high-quality Orienteering and Rogaining events as originally planned in August. Permits for the event are pending, and we continue to monitor Covid safety requirements. Courses for Tahoe 2021 will not overlap NAOC 2023 courses.
Current CalOFest registrations are automatically transferred to 2023; you do not have to do anything, your fees will not increase, and you are guaranteed entry! We encourage you to leave your registration in place. However, for those interested in alternatives, you may write to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you in California, and we wish you good spirits, good health, and good fitness.
CalOFest Steering Committee
This seems like an excellent call in the light of current circumstances. Really excited to orienteer at Tahoe in both 2021 and 2023!
Will there be separate registration for the Tahoe 2021 events?
Thank you very much for the update.
I'm very happy that the organizers will go forward with high-quality and appealing events this year, and I'm looking forward to both the 2021 and 2023 events!
Thanks to the organizers for the perseverance and resilience. I look forward to being there, with many other Canadians, in 2023.
Yes there will be separate registration for Tahoe 2021 - details to come soon.
This is great news! Thank you to the organizers for all your deliberations and work to make both of these events happen.
This is pretty much what I was hoping would happen, though it seemed too much to ask for.
Seems the best way to proceed, given all the circumstances. Thanks for all your deliberations and decision making!
Why are the events moved two years to 2023? Is there a NAOC planned in Canada in 2022? Is there a WRC scheduled somewhere in 2022? Anybody know? Thanks.
Yes, WRC is already committed for 2022.
I believe the 2022 NAOC will be in the Ottawa region.
Sharon, there will be an announcement fairly soon re upcoming NAOCs.
I want to salute Gavin Wyatt-Mair and his team for making this happen. The circumstances they have encountered have been unprecedented. The obstacles were enormous and they could have more easily thrown in the towel and cancelled everything. But instead they have come through it all with plans for two great events.
Yes, the organizers have had incredible obstacles thrown their way. I'm glad they're able to salvage something, both from their work and for the competitors who are able to attend. Thank you!
I will echo the thought that the organizers have had a lot thrown at them. With the number of "ifs" that they have had to deal with, they are finding their way. Basically, they are working with a Covid map that is not well drawn but they are making do. Tahoe is a great place to orienteer and, as was mentioned, going there in 2021 and 2023 is great.
Just in case anyone was thinking the NAOC could still have been held this summer; speculation now seems to be that the US/Canada border will remain closed until at least late summer. I miss my American O friends! https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/when-canada-...
Any update on when registration will open for Tahoe 2021?
The Championship status of the events is still pending sanctioning. Presumably registration info will be forthcoming once approved.
Sounds like the "North American" Rogaine Champs may be questionable...
Sad but true. The latest word in Ontario is that our state of emergency and stay-at-home order will likely be extended until early June. Things are finally starting to bend in the right direction though.
Please login to add a message.