Spent the Solstice--well, part of it--setting/streamering the Rocky Mountain Goat. I did a first draft, liked it, then checked the length and saw it was 10.7 kms. Normally I would go for something another kilometer or so longer than that, but when I looked over the course again and thought about the likely field/turnout we might get for Labor Daze, I decided to go with it and just see how it looked on the ground.
And it I really liked it on the ground--everything about it. A nice mix of varying types of controls (difficulty, approach) and legs, and and an ever changing mix of terrain, visibility, vegetation, and underfooting. While I was checking out things I only ended up making one change, and that was a very tiny one--moving one control from one feature to another feature about 15m away.
Normally, with a generic course on a generic map in a generic terrain, I would expect to make quite a few changes to a design once out in the field. Here, however, it helps a lot to know the terrain, and especially a mapping style and quality I can count on.
So the course designs for Labor Daze are done, and it always feels good to get that done. Now there are only a few more details to attend to--maybe getting some punch cards, lining up some toilets, an actual permit in hand wouldn't be a bad thing, printing up a few maps, and then of course an entry or two at some point would also be nice just from the standpoint of seeing if any controls ended up in the right location. ; )