Training Log: JanetT
In the last 7 days:
|activity|| # ||time||miles||km||+m|
| ||Orienteering||2|| 2:11:38|| 5.09||(25:52)|| 8.19||(16:04)|| 254||22 /||23c||95%|
| ||Walking||3|| 1:04:15|| 2.3|| 3.7|| 128|
| ||Walk/Jog||1|| 45:26|| 2.75||(16:31)|| 4.43||(10:16)|| 21|
| ||Total||5|| 4:01:19|| 10.14|| 16.32|| 403||22 /||23c||95%|
|averages - sleep:6.4|
We've been orienteering all year so far (what with GNC, Texas, Flying Pig, West Point, and local meets in between) and AP says I've found 277 controls, 106 already this month (with three more days of O this coming weekend). Focusing on locating good attackpoints has been helpful and becoming almost automatic. Now I just need to work on running more and maybe getting some speed back after last year's problems with my knee (still tender at times but not as bad as a year ago) and ribs (totally healed).
Walking warm up/down 22:29  1.11 mi (20:16 / mi) +32m 18:35 / mi
slept:6.5 shoes: Inov8 ORoc280-A 2013-08
To start of day 2 at Lake Welch/Jackie Jones map, which has held up well with minor updates. Downhill along a trail with dead trees across it to navigate past, then back uphill to start.
Orienteering race 55:34  *** 3.99 km (13:55 / km) +117m 12:09 / km
spiked:10/10c shoes: Inov8 ORoc280-A 2013-08
Brown day 2 course at Jackie Jones, nominally 3.5 km, 110m climb. Great course by cadet Mike Bruce, which I enjoyed very much.
Sandy started two minutes ahead of me today, so I knew she could be a distraction. She was in sight, a bit ahead, between 1 and 3 which were short legs close by the start. Then we had a long route choice leg to 4, and I decided to swing south to the big trail because I could run a bit on the trail, something I don't feel stable enough doing in the woods/rocks. I cut back NW after the second stream crossing and took the nice reentrant by a huge cliff line which angled up the hill to the flattish area where the marsh/rocky ground started which was my attackpoint. Roger Underwood caught me here and was close by through 6 but I finished several minutes ahead of him so he may have had trouble with 7.
Saw Sandy again leaving 5 and 6 and caught up at the trail N of Jackie Jones Mtn top. Ran the trail until I saw a place to cut through the power line which had a lot of cut and stacked trees to skirt around, but I saw the N end of the short trail (which looked to me like a ditch) and knew I was at the right elevation so it was just a matter of finding the 2m cliff. Pretty simple navigation from there, though I contoured around the last hill instead of going straight up and over because hills are my nemesis.
Happy to finish first F60 today, but it wasn't enough to offset Sandy's 4:37 lead from yesterday so I ended up 2nd overall by 16 seconds. Happy that I was able to run as much as I did (Aleve helped hold off the knee pain).
Walking warm up/down 27:59  1.19 mi (23:31 / mi) +96m 18:49 / mi
To start @ West Point
Orienteering race 1:16:04  *** 4.2 km (18:07 / km) +137m 15:34 / km
spiked:12/13c shoes: Inov8 ORoc280-A 2013-08
Brown day 1, nominally 3.4 km and 90m climb. Overcast with occ. showers; about 50F. Camp Buckner, on the hillside west of 293, northeast of the bayonet assault course.
Had someone just ahead of me approaching 1 and 2 which helped me into those controls. Navigated alone to 3 though I saw two others approach it from different directions as I punched (one was Beth Lux). Rob W who'd started 2-4 min behind me was approaching 3 as I left and I figured he'd overtake me at some point but I never saw him again until I was in and done for several minutes.
Did 4 and 5 fine, then was a bit confused by what was mapped as vertical green on the way to 6 but I could figure out the huge cliffs and had no trouble finding it. SSW to trail and off the subtle corner S of #1 looking for the marsh I'd been near in years past. Almost overran it but caught myself and popped over a small hill and up the form line reentrant point to 7. Stayed high to 8 but had trouble figuring out what cliff was what so checked several before finding one with a flag (there were 6 or 7 in the circle...). Francis F punched just behind me and I saw him a bit ahead leaving the next control verifying where the flag was for me. To 10 I stayed high rather than sidehill so could see where the reentrant was above the cliff. Saw a flag a bit earlier than I expected but I checked and it was mine.
I'm wondering if 12 was hung at the correct boulder on the spur; I saw three and it wasn't on the SW side of the northern one unless the northern one I saw was unmapped (a possibility). In any case, not a problem. Then it was just a matter of making my way through the barberry and out to the road.
3rd F 60 just 5 seconds behind Lex. Sandy had a great run. :-)
Walk/Jog (Trail) 45:26  2.75 mi (16:31 / mi) +21m 16:08 / mi
shoes: Sauc TriumphISO-silver/gr/blue
Saucon Rail Trail, south from the So. Lehigh Library. Glen (also headed south) was running for 40 minutes so I turned around just shy of 20. Jogged enough that he did not catch me before I returned to the car.
Thr last little bit was cool down, checking out the tunnel under the road between the library and the park.
Beautiful out; mostly cloudy and about 70F.
Walking 13:47 
Around the neighborhood after dinner, so more of a stroll. Still pretty nice outside though the breeze was picking up.
- Apr 28 [0w, 3d]: Y - USA & Canada - WOC/JWOC Team Trials OUSA National 3 day meet
- May 6 [1w, 4d]: ? - DVOA French Creek State Park Central
- May 6 [1w, 4d]: Y - Pre Billygoat Training Just Mountain Lakes
- May 7 [1w, 5d]: Y - Billygoat 2017 20th anniv of previous Billygoat at WPR
- May 20 [3w, 4d]: N - EMPO - Pleasant Valley Farms
- May 21 [3w, 5d]: ? - WCOC Osbornedale State Park
- Jun 3 [5w, 4d]: ? - DVOA Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education
- Jun 7 [6w, 1d]: ? - DVOA Hibernia County Park
- Jun 14 [7w, 1d]: ? - DVOA Norristown State Hospital
- Jun 23 [8w, 3d]: ? - 2017 Gold Rush Meet and USA SML Championships
- Jul 22 [12w, 4d]: ? - CNYO ROGAINE XXVII
- Jul 26 [13w, 1d]: ? - DVOA Fort Washington
- Jul 29 [13w, 4d]: ? - Canada 150 Orienteering Festival
- Aug 5 [14w, 4d]: ? - Canadian Championships Middle
- Aug 6 [14w, 5d]: ? - Canadian Championships Long
- Aug 26 [17w, 4d]: ? - 2017 Corn Maze Champs
- Sep 9 [19w, 4d]: ? - DVOA Hickory Run Daddy Allen
- Sep 10 [19w, 5d]: ? - DVOA Hickory Run Sand Spring
- Sep 16 [20w, 4d]: Y - Falls Classic - Letchworth State Park
- Sep 24 [21w, 5d]: ? - DVOA Adams Creek
- Oct 8 [23w, 5d]: ? - SVO Susquehanna Stumble XIX
- Oct 14 [24w, 4d]: Y - UNO Boulder Dash
- Oct 21 [25w, 4d]: ? - DVOA Tyler State Park
- Oct 28 [26w, 4d]: ? - DVOA Myrick Center (BVA)
- Oct 29 [26w, 5d]: ? - DVOA Ridley Creek State Park
- Nov 4 [27w, 4d]: Y - DVOA National Event
- Nov 4 [27w, 4d]: ? - DVOA Grings Mill / Penn State-Berks
- Nov 5 [27w, 5d]: Y - DVOA Mount Penn - Antietam
- Nov 11 [28w, 4d]: ? - QOC Quinquagenary @ Quantico National Meet
- Nov 19 [29w, 5d]: ? - DVOA Rutgers Environmental Preserve
- Nov 26 [30w, 5d]: ? - DVOA French Creek State Park West
- Jul 6, 2018 [62w, 3d]: ? - World Masters Orienteering Championships 2018
- Jul 1, 2019 [113w, 6d]: ? - World Masters Orienteering Championships 2019
- Jun 12, 2050 [1,728w, 5d]:
Ooops. Lost all the flags counted from mid-June 2012 to early 2013(?) because I deleted the cookies for the flag counter.
all weeks |