Swimming1:01:30 3.38 km (18:11 / km) weight:159lbs
long swim with sprints
400y br 218 212 218 219
800 y fr 139 142 143 143 pause 136 146 145 144
400y br 219 220 222 226
4 x 100y fr w fins sprints on 2 mins 118 118 116 120
400y fr w fins 143 144 145 143
600y w fins and kick board legs only (25ba,25 front alternate 1230
5 x (50y free sprint , 50 y br on 2mins) (39,41,40,41,41)
200y cool down
2018 annual summary
2018 was another great year of retirement. A good amount of great travel with activities in North America, UK, and Ecuador
1st big trip of the year was to Ecuador (Quito, Galapagos and Amazon Basin) with hiking, kayaking, camping, snorkelling and mountain biking. Galapagos Islands and Amazon basin had fantastic wildlife viewing and interaction. Climbing to 15,000’ on Cotopaxi and then mtn biking down was a blast.
I had a quick trip to Uk in February for a funeral and managed to get some orienteering in. I enjoyed a Quantico Orienteering meet in March.
X-C skiing and snowshoeing was fun on the Gunflint with yurt stay with the usual folks (Mike Julia Pete Julie Pete Lori)
I enjoyed setting the MNOC Interstate meet (even though the snow hung around so late into April). Some good kayaking locally with the S Fork of the Eau Claire river the only new section this year but many good outings on St Croix, Snake, Kettle, Eau Claire, Kinni and Namekagon.
In June I was in the UK for 3 weeks and spent most of the time working on the Ffestiniog so was able to enjoy runs along the beach and some hiking in the hills. The Bayfield swim went Ok with a tough current close to the island meant my time was 1 hr 19 (but I beat Julia by 1 min). Off to Alaska in August with Lori Roger and Jane with biking (around Anchorage), hiking and kayaking (to a calving glacier) . Back in the lower 48 I enjoyed a great Laramie Days with Jim and Kathi. Came third in M60+ . On return trip stopped in the Black Hills for more camping, biking and hiking. Back to N Wales in October for another stint on the railway and some more beach running and hiking (albeit a little cooler than June) .
Winter came early with snow for the MLKathio meet (which I set with Pete C ) and cold weather early in November put a stop to biking for 2 -3 weeks. With a very cold Veterans Day night O at Whitetail woods which I set with Julia. A nice trip to Possum Trot with an 8th place result. Then in December hit the trainer bike hard at the Y to get ready for Chile bike tour .
Data: Total of 459 hrs of exercise and 2304 miles (a little less than 2017 – primarily on the biking)
1) Biking: 1170 miles total – mostly local . Some nice early morning short rides along the Needles highway in the Black Hills. Became webmaster for the Gateway and Lake Links trails and put in a lot of computer time getting their websites into good shape.
2) Orienteering: 285 km 553 controls a good year. Highlights were setting Interstate meet in the early spring, Laramie 5 days (awesome and some tough competition in M60+ ; got 3rd overall). MLK was awesome as always.
3) Swimming: 151 miles Bayfield swim was tough with almost riptide like current on the 2nd half so 1 hr 19 min .
4) Kayaking: 153 miles the big kayak event was kayak camping in the Galapagos. Kayaking in the wide open Pacific Ocean with big log swells and camping in remote spots with extremely friendly birds and animals was a unique experience. Had some good local kayaking during the summer.
5) Trail running: 118 miles didn't do any races … need to sign up in 2019 for one or two. Lots of beach running in N Wales (some great beaches )
Current plans are to be in Chile (2 weeks), Greece (4 weeks), N Wales (3 + 2 weeks) so this will limit swimming mileage. Too much hard physical exercise has on occasion left me tired in 2018 so may back off a little on the exertion. So same hrs , maybe more biking .
Onward for 2019 – navigating, paddling, swim, bike,run in 2019